Sailing to Antarctica, cruising the Galapagos Islands and travelling along the Trans-Siberian Railway are the top three trips every traveller must take in their lifetime, according to US-based Flight Network’s World’s Best Once-In-A-Lifetime Journeys 2018 list.The 50 destination list, compiled by the Flight Network and more than 500 representatives from various travel industries, includes three entries from Australia – driving the Great Ocean Road (19), hiking the Blue Mountains (42) and driving the Australian Outback (28). Read on for the top 10
1. Expedition to AntarcticaYou can catch ships bound for Antarctica from Ushuaia, Argentina. If you choose to take that route you will need to fly into Buenos Aires, then take a connecting flight to Ushuaia’s Malvinas Argentinas International Airport.
2. Cruise the Galapagos IslandsYou will need to do some serious legwork to get to the Galapagos Island. They are located in the eastern Pacific Ocean, some 973 km off the coast of South America.
3. Travel the Trans-Siberian Railway
The Trans Siberia. Picture: PixaBayThe Trans-Siberian Railway is the world’s longest train journey at 9,300km and offers a classic, 7-day trip starting from Moscow and ending in the port city of Vladivostok.
4. Trek to Machu Picchu
To travel to Machu Picchu you will need to land in the Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport in Cusco, Peru.
5. Drive the Pacific Coast Highway
The 951-kilometre highway is a legendary drive that takes roughly 15 hours to complete.
6. Drive Iceland’s Ring Road
The 1,332 km drive starts in Keflavik, and weaves around the entire island taking in glaciers, waterfalls and an ice tunnel.
7. Cruise to Alaska
With Vancouver, British Colombia a handy departure point for Alaska, it’s pretty easy to get to.
8. Camino de Santiago
Begin the trek by flying into Biarritz Pays Basque Airport – a 52 km drive from St. Pied de Port, France, which marks the starting point of the Camino Francés.
9. Sail the Greek Islands
Why stop at one island when you can take your time and see them all? Hire a sailboat and cruise through the Greek Islands at your leisure.
10. Drive the Dalmatian Coast of Croatia
The Dalmatian Coast is located 23 km southeast from Dubrovnik in the town of Cilipi. To view the list of all 50 destinations, click here. This article first appeared in Reader’s Digest. For more of what you love from the world’s best-loved magazine, here’s our best subscription offer.