Iceland is one of the hottest destinations in 2018. The dramatic volcanic land is a short and easy flight from Europe or the USA. It is strange and awe-inspiring. A journey here will not be forgotten.
Here are seven facts that will make you fall in love with Iceland.
1. Iceland does NOT have mosquitoes.
2. The English word “geyser” comes from the name of the great geyser, Geysir in Haukadalur, South Iceland.
3. Iceland does not have forests.
4. Iceland did burn witches at the stake in the 17th century. However, most Icelandic witches were male.
5. Iceland had the first democratically elected female and the first openly gay Prime Ministers.
6. About 85 per cent of Iceland’s energy comes from renewable resources. About half of that comes from geothermal energy.
7. Icelandic telephone directories list people by the first name alphabetically.