Day 1 - Arrival / Negombo
Depart from Australia for Negombo, Sri Lanka. Upon arrival, you will be met and transferred to your hotel.
Day 2 - Negombo / Dambulla / Sigiriya
Have breakfast and experience Negombo with a city tour. Thereafter, proceed to Dambulla, one of the most popular Buddhist cradles on the island to Date. This unique experience offers far more than the iconic Golden Buddha Statue, including the nearby mountains dotted with a series of caves which were once the home of meditation for Monks. This iconic Sri Lankan image – amidst the busy streets of an economic hub – is just a stone's throw from Sigiriya, and neighbours the hill capital, Kandy.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch
Day 3 – Sigiriya / Habarana / Sigiriya
Today you will have an authentic Sri Lankan village experience in Habarana. The trek begins with a walk along a man-made reservoir, which is a hive of early morning activities in the village, alongside the surrounding scrub jungle, marshland and village. In the evening, visit Sigiriya Rock Fortress and climb this 5th century World Heritage Site, built by King Kashyapa (477- 495 AD). It is a citadel of unusual beauty, rising 200 meters above the jungle. You will also see the world-renowned frescoes of the Heavenly Maidens of Sigiriya, which are in a sheltered pocket of the rock, accessed by a spiral stairway. These frescoes are painted on plaster using earth pigments.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch
Day 4 – Sigiriya / Matale / Kandy
Head to Kandy after breakfast. En-route, visit Matale Spice Garden. Feel the coolness of the surrounding climate as you drive into the limits of a city that last-witnessed Royalty. Take a walk through the busy streets of Kandy and observe how life unfolds under the shades of heritage. Pass the clock tower that has stood tall for decades under the sun and rain before walking around the shady banks of the Kandy Lake. Check in to your hotel.Meals:
Day 5 – Kandy / Nuwara Eliya
After breakfast, visit the Temple of the Tooth Relic, the most sacred temple that enshrines the tooth relic of Lord Buddha. Here, you will be able to witness Pooja – twice a day – showered by the blessings of a few hundred devotees on any given day. Afterwards, visit the Kandy Museum, which houses a tale of Kings and Queens entwined between the pillars of culture, before proceeding to Nuwara Eliya. Visit Ramboda Falls on the road, then leave Peradeniya and take a winding road uphill to the centre of tea country. Observe the surroundings and how the climate around you changes as busy roads dotted with towns transform into pine-covered narrow roads that snake their way through the lush green blankets of Ceylon Tea.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch
Day 6 - Nuwara Eliya / Ella / Yala
After breakfast, leave for Tissamaharama and check into your hotel. En-route, visit Ella Mini Adam’s Peak, Nine Arch Bridge, and Ravana Falls. Enjoy views of frosty mountain tops as you drive into the heart of Bandarawela. ‘Ella’ is truly fascinating to adventurers and nature lovers alike, with its signature forest tracks, as well as developed accommodation that caters to hundreds of travellers. You will have the opportunity to climb up to the top of the mountain to view the unforgettable Ella-Gap, and upon descent, you will proceed to Yala. Observe how the steep roads flatten into speed-friendly terrain that stretches across Wellawaya into Yala National Park. Welcome to leopard country! In the land protected by these gorgeous felines, you will experience a blend of local people and wildlife. Check into your hotel and enjoy a good rest as the following day promises a an adventurous experience in the island’s largest national park.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch
Day 7 - Yala / Galle / Ahangama
Have a light breakfast and transfer to Yala National park for a morning safari. Wake up early in the morning to the chirps of birds announcing the dawn of a new day and board your comfortable safari jeep. Today you will enter the holy land of Sri Lankan wildlife! Head inside the park through its bumpy roads and wide-open plains, witnessing an abundance of peacocks, crocodiles, wild boars and spotted deer grazing through the forest scrub. Make sure you keep your eyes wide open as a roaring leopard, a fuzzy sloth bear or a colossal tusker may be just few feet away. After the safari, return back to the hotel and relax, before proceeding to Ahangama in the evening.
Day 8 - Ahangama / Galle / Colombo / Departure
After breakfast, head towards Galle and visit the historic Dutch Fort. Resembling a living model of a colonial Dutch town, the Galle Fort – as the locals call it – is a masterpiece of architecture, history, and tradition. Proceed to Colombo and tour the city. Transfer to the airport in the evening to board the flight home.
Once you have purchased your voucher, you will automatically get an email from My Discoveries reconfirming next steps including completing your online booking form. You can also contact us on 1300 404 606 and we will happily assist you with purchasing your holiday online or over the phone.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
When will I get my ticket(s)?
- Our partner operator negotiates great deals with airlines ahead of time, purchasing tickets in bulk at different times throughout the year to provide you with the very best value for money. Unfortunately, this means there is no pre-set time when you will get your tickets other than in advance of your travel. Sometimes this can occur months in advance while in others, it’s 30 days or less prior to travel. Rest assured we have everything under control and no one has ever missed their flights in their 6-year history.
- Your tickets will be issued electronically, but are no longer needed by the airlines. Upon check-in, you just need to show your passport and visa.
Where will I have a stopover on my flight?
- We are not able to confirm if there will be a stopover or where that might be on your way to and from your chosen destination.When you purchased your group tour, we endeavour to find the best path to get you from your origin city (Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane or Adelaide) to your destination.Most of the time, this means we need to go through a large hub airport to then connect with a domestic flight. We always seek to ensure the minimum amount of layover time that meets with the required transfer times set by the airlines and/or designated airports.If you wish to pay an additional cost to upgrade to a better, more direct flight path or to business class, you may contact SNA customer service and we can discuss the options available.
When will I get my itinerary?
- This My Discoveries Voucher you will receive post purchase serves as your tour itinerary. A detailed day-by-day summary of your hotels and other travel details will be sent to you at least one week prior to travel to ensure it is complete and accurate. Your confirmed hotel list is sent out seven days prior departure. This is because sometimes small details change at the last minute due to the complexity of travel to developing countries.
What about visa(s)?
- Our Operator SNA will be happy to assist you with any Visa requirements you may have. Should you wish SNA to organise visas for you, SNA will be processing your visa in bulk, based on travel tour dates and group sizes. Each country has its own visa process which unfortunately can vary widely beyond our control. Developing countries are notorious for inconsistent processing, which is why we strongly suggest you leave it up to us to deal with it.
- We have dedicated customer service personnel to hand-hold your visa application through each step to ensure nothing goes wrong. Unfortunately, there is no pre-set schedule we can confirm other than you will receive them ahead of your travel. Please contact SNA if you have concerns about your visa.
- Alternatively, you are able to process your own visas directly with the countries consulate closest to you.
What are the refund and cancellation policies?
- My Discoveries and SNA Tours have partnered together to bring you the best value-for-money deal possible. This means that once the 30-day Booking Guarantee Period ends, there will be penalties for cancelling. Once the 30-day period ends a minimum of $350 SNA Tours & $100 My Discoveries fees apply per person & will be charged to cover administrative costs incurred.
- Once airtickets are issued, no refund is possible. Should there be a health or other serious issue, please contact My Discoveries and SNA with supporting documentation and we will assess the claim on compassionate grounds. My Discoveries strongly recommends Travel insurance and we can organise this. Simply email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive 10% off your travel insurance.
Can I decide my travel flight path?
- SNA facilitate hundreds of travellers across dozens of dates and half a dozen origin cities. This means they need to have the flexibility to manage across multiple airlines and cannot provide each passenger or travel group with their own preferred flight path. The more direct flight path, the higher the cost. Admittedly, this is a trade-off when traveling at this amazing price.
Can I upgrade my flights?
- Yes, you can upgrade your International flights to Business Class for $3,000 per person. Please contact the SNA Customer Service team to discuss the details and update your booking. Please note domestic flights can only be booked in Economy.