Touch down in Osaka and venture across the moat to see the city’s castle. Travel by bullet train to Kyoto, Japan’s former capital city, and weave between temples, shrines, palaces and gardens. Lucky travellers may even spot a geisha. Get caught up in the fast pace, neon flights and bright streets of Tokyo.
Admire the lofty, snow-capped peak of Mt. Fuji and be treated to breath-taking views of the surrounding landscape. See heritage samurai residences, traditional Japanese villages, and historic town districts. Take in some of Japanese’s most famous castles in Matusmoto and look out for the freely roaming deer in Nara Park.
- Return international airfares with a full-service airline departing Sydney and Melbourne, including 23 kgs checked luggage.
- Includes tours of Atomic Bomb Dome, Memorial Peace Park, Itsukushima Shrine and more
- Ride the bullet train from Osaka to Kyoto
- Nov: 03*, 10*, 17
- Mar: 04, 11, 18*, 25*, 30*
- Apr: 04*, 06, 08*, 13*, 15*
- May: 13, 20
- Jun: 03, 10, 24*
- Aug: 19
- Sep: 02, 09
- Oct: 14, 28*
- Nov: 04*, 11*, 18
- Day 1: Australia – Osaka
- Day 2: Osaka
- Day 3: Osaka – Nara – Osaka / Meals: Breakfast, Dinner
- Day 4: Osaka – Kyoto / Meals: Breakfast
- Day 5: Kyoto / Meals: Breakfast
- Day 6: Kyoto – Kanazawa / Meals: Breakfast
- Day 7: Kanazawa / Meals: Breakfast
- Day 8: Kanazawa / Meals: Breakfast
- Day 9: Kanazawa – Shirakawa Go – Takayama / Meals: Breakfast
- Day 10: Takayama – Nagano / Meals: Breakfast
- Day 11: Nagano – Matsumoto / Meals: Breakfast
- Day 12: Matsumoto – Mt Fuji / Meals: Breakfast, Dinner
- Day 13: Mt Fuji – Tokyo / Meals: Breakfast
- Day 14: Tokyo / Meals: Breakfast
- Day 15: Tokyo – Australia / Meals: Breakfast
- Day 16: Arrive in Australia
- Osaka: Hotel Plaza Osaka or similar
- Kyoto: Hotel Resol Kyoto Shijo Muromachi
- Kanazawa: The Square Hotel Kanazawa
- Takayama: Best Western Hotel Takayama
- Nagano: Chisun Grand Nagano
- Matsumoto: RAKO Hananoi Hotel
- Tokyo: Tobu Hotel Levant Tokyo or similar
WHY BOOK WITH MYDISCOVERIES?
|The MyDiscoveries 30 Day Booking Guarantee means that if you can’t get the travel dates you want within 30 days of buying the voucher, we’ll give you your money back|
|Pay over 5 x monthly, interest-free instalments. Credit card holders can spread their payments over 5 months on all MyDiscoveries holidays|
- Valid for travel: Multiple departure dates in 2019 & 2020.
- Advertised price based on a Low season date, departure from Sydney, Melbourne
- at time of publishing.
- $300 surcharge on departure from Brisbane, Adelaide & Perth
- Advertised price may vary and is subject to availability at time of booking.
- Subject to availability at time of booking for new bookings only.
- All prices are subject to change at any time without notice.
- Valid for sales unless sold out prior.
- If you need to cancel your trip after travel has been confirmed, the travel operator may impose cancellation fees. In addition, MyDiscoveries will charge a AUD $100 per person cancellation fee. We recommend taking out travel insurance as soon as you have booked your travel dates so you have protection against emergency cancellations that might be needed.
- Travel insurance not included, customers are advised to purchase appropriate cover.
- Once your MyDiscoveries Voucher has been purchased you will be contacted by the MyDiscoveries Reservations team will work with the tour operator to get you booked onto your preferred travel dates.
- When booking in your travel dates, make sure you have your travel voucher number, traveller names and details of any special requirements (e.g. vegetarian etc)
- The MyDiscoveries team will send an email to you confirming all of your booking information.
- Excludes: visa, travel insurance, meals not mentioned and items of a personal nature
VISA INFORMATION A visa gives a non-citizen permission to enter and stay in a certain country. MyDiscoveries cannot issue visas for your trip. You will need to research Visa requirements and contact the nearest embassy or consulate. Australian Government’s travel advice service smartraveller.gov.au is a good place to start. Read more Visa information here.
TO BOOK YOUR HOLIDAY, BUY ONLINE AT WWW.MYDISCOVERIES.COM.AU or CALL 1300 404 606
Australia - Osaka
Depart Australia today on your overnight flight to Japan. Please note: some flights might depart 1 day later.
Welcome to Osaka, Japan! Upon arrival at Kansai Airport, clear customs and immigration before boarding the bus and transferring to your accommodation. Your tour guide or escort will be waiting at the arrival lobby exit gate (inside the airport) holding a ‘TOMATO’ sign.
Please do not leave the exit gate if you can’t see the tour guide immediately, the tour
guide will come and meet you.
Osaka - Nara - Osaka
Today we will take a day trip to Nara. Once you arrive in Nara it is a short walk to the main attractions. We will visit Todaiji Temple and its Great Hall as it houses one of the largest bronze Buddha statues in the world. On your return to the station, wander back through Nara Deer Park where you can see hundreds of deer roaming around. Nara’s 1,200 deer have become the symbol of the city as it comes from the Shinto idea that every creature, nature or object is a messenger of god. After enjoying your morning in Nara we will head back to Osaka. As we arrive back in Osaka city, we will make a stop at Osaka Castle. After that, we will finish off our day with a tour of one of Osaka’s central food and entertainment centres Dotonbori. Enjoy wandering around trying the local foods, shopping districts and posing with one of Osaka’s famous icons, Gurico! We will eat our welcome dinner here together. Enjoy a good rest in your hotel.
MEALS: Breakfast, Dinner
Osaka - Kyoto
Today we will take the bullet train from Osaka to the historical capital Kyoto reaching within 15 minutes. In Kyoto we will visit the Kinkakuji Temple otherwise known as the Golden Pavilion. Kinkakuji Temple is a Zen temple and World Heritage site with two floors covered entirely in thin layers of pure gold and detailed architecture incorporating three distinct architectural styles of Shinden, Samurai and Zen. After that we will head to Nishijin Textile Centre and enjoy a traditional kimono show. Kimonos are still used today in Japan for formal ceremonies and festivals. Enjoy your stay in Kyoto! Take a good rest at your hotel.
Today is a free day to explore Kyoto at your own pace.
Kyoto - Kanazawa
This morning we visit Nijo Castle, the Kyoto former residence of the Tokugawa Shogunate and is designated a UNESCO world heritage site. Board the bus towards Togetsu Bridge and the Bamboo Grove, landmarks of Western Kyoto’s Arashiyama District for over four hundred years. Standing amongst the Bamboo Grove is like being in another world and is nothing like any other forest you have seen before. It is mesmerizing and peaceful. We then continue to the city of Kanazawa.
Today we will explore the castle town of Kanazawa. First up we will visit Buke Yashiki (a samurai house) and learn about how the high ranked samurais lived during the Edo period. Later we will make our way through the streets of Higashi Chaya, a district lined with quaint old buildings that were once teahouses used by the local geisha (traditional Japanese female entertainers) and their guests. Next, we will visit Kenrokuen Garden one of Japan’s “three best landscape gardens”. Then we will go to Omicho Market to try the local foods and see the local crafts. Enjoy your night’s stay in Kanazawa.
Today you can enjoy your day in Kanazawa.
Kanazawa - Shirakawa Go - Takayama
Today we will go on a half day tour of Shirakawago to explore the small village and the gassho style houses. On this tour you will stop at the observation point so you can view the whole of Shirakawago and while you are there your English speaking tour guide will teach you about the history of this unique village. Enjoy your day in Shirakawago! After our tour in Shirakawago we will head towards Takayama for the night.
Takayama - Nagano
Today we will spend the day exploring Takayama city. Takayama is a city located in Japan’s mountainous Gifu Prefecture. While you are in Takayama visit the preserved Old Town, the open air museum of Hida Folk Village, the former local government office, Takayama Jinya, an impressive museum called Matsuri no Mori, pass by temples and enjoy seeing a range of festival floats at the Yatai Kaikan also grab a bargain or food at the morning markets. Upon finishing your tour in Takayama board the bus to Nagano for the night.
Nagano - Matsumoto
Ohayou-gozaimasu! (Good morning!) After breakfast, we will gather together and head off to Hokusai Museum to discover the great artworks of Katsuhika Hokusai (1760-1849) one of Japan’s leading Edo period ukiyo-e painters. After that we will continue on to Zenkoji Temple which was founded over 1,400 years ago and houses one of the first ever Buddhist statues to be brought into Japan. Continue on to Matsumoto city where we will view one of Japan’s most complete and original castles, Matsumoto Castle. A short stroll from the castle we will finish up our tour in Nakamachi Street where we can see nicely preserved buildings, warehouses and traditional ryokans. Enjoy your night in Matsumoto!
Matsumoto - Mt Fuji
Ohayou-gozaimasu! (Good morning) Today we will visit one of Mount Fuji’s springs, Oshino Hakkai. Oshino Hakkai is one of the eight ponds fed by melting snow filtering down from the slopes of Mount Fuji through porous layers of lava, resulting in very clear spring water that is well-regarded by the locals. Afterwards we will visit Mount Fuji’s 5th station, which is above the clouds and allows you to view its enormous summit (if the weather permits). Stay the night in Mt Fuji area and enjoy a farewell dinner with your fellow tour members.
MEALS: Breakfast, Dinner
Mt Fuji - Tokyo
Today we will visit Gotemba Peace Park to capture another breathtaking view of Mt Fuji and Hakone Checkpoint, which used to be an important checkpoint on the highway connecting Kyoto to Tokyo in the Edo period. Then we’ll take a cruise down Lake Ashi where you’ll be able to see the beautiful nature around you. Enjoy your stay in Tokyo tonight.
Enjoy a free day in Japan’s mega city, Tokyo!
Tokyo - Australia
At the appropriate time you will be transferred to the airport for your homebound flight. Tokyo is serviced by two airports, Narita and Haneda which are both accessible from Tokyo city. Make sure you check your flight details before going to the airport.
Arrive in Australia
Arrive home today.
- Japan is a very popular country as it is one of the safest and cleanest countries in the world! Moreover, Japan has a lot to offer with its rich and diverse culture throughout the centuries.
- Touch down in Osaka and venture across the moat to see the city’s castle. Pay your respects in the city of Hiroshima. See the floating tori gate in the iconic Miyajima. Travel by bullet train to Kyoto, Japan’s former capital city, and weave between temples, shrines, palaces and gardens. Lucky travellers may even spot a geisha. Get caught up in the fast pace, neon flights and bright streets of Tokyo.
- Admire the lofty, snow-capped peak of Mt. Fuji and be treated to breath-taking views of the surrounding landscape. See heritage samurai residences, traditional Japanese villages, and historic town districts. Take one of Japan’s most famous castles in Matusmoto and look out for the freely roaming deer in Nara Park.
- Departures from Sydney, Melbourne: China Southern Airlines
- Departures from Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide: Cathay Pacific or Singapore Airlines
Please note: Airlines cannot be confirmed until three weeks prior to departure and changes in airline may be made to accommodate tour requirements
Transfers are included!
- March, April and May is springtime in Japan. Sakura season, commonly known as cherry blossom season, occurs during this time.
- Mid-March to mid-April are the most common viewing times for cherry blossom viewing, however, this can vary yearly.
- Japan is also known for its beautiful red maple leaves from October to November during the Autumn season.
A visa gives a non-citizen permission to enter and stay in a certain country. MyDiscoveries cannot issue visas for your trip. You will need to research Visa requirements and contact the nearest embassy or consulate. Australian Government’s travel advice service smartraveller.gov.au is a good place to start.
Read more Visa information here.
- MyDiscoveries can arrange a personalised travel insurance quote for you.
- Call us on 1300 404 606 and quote Discovery10 for a 10% discount.
What is included in The Deal? Please refer to the ‘Includes’ section in The Deal for details of what’s included. If you are unclear, please don’t hesitate to contact us on 1300 404 606 for more information.
Are there any health precautions or vaccinations that I need? We recommend you see your doctor at least six weeks prior to travel to get their advice and to allow time for any necessary vaccinations.
Can I arrange my flights with MyDiscoveries? MyDiscoveries is a full-service travel agency and we can arrange flights to any destination. Call us on 1300 404 606 to get a personalised quote.
Do I need travel insurance? We always recommend that you purchase travel insurance as soon as your travel dates are confirmed. MyDiscoveries can arrange a personalised travel insurance quote for you – call us on 1300 404 606
Can MyDiscoveries organise my travel insurance? We always recommend that you purchase travel insurance as soon as your travel dates are confirmed. MyDiscoveries can arrange a personalised travel insurance quote at competitive rates for you – call us on 1300 404 606
When will my booking be confirmed? Once your MyDiscoveries holiday voucher has been purchased you will be contacted by a member of the MyDiscoveries Reservations team. MyDiscoveries will work with the tour operator to get you booked onto your preferred travel dates and will send you an email to confirm your booking information. If for any reason we are unable to book you onto your preferred dates please refer to the MyDiscoveries 30 Day Booking Guarantee to understand our refund policy. When booking in to your travel dates, make sure you have your travel voucher number, traveller names and details of any special requirements.
What is the cancellation procedure? / Can I cancel or make changes to my booking? If for any reason you need to cancel your booking, contact the MyDiscoveries Reservations team on 1300 404 606. Once we have received your verbal request for cancellation we will ask you to confirm the request in writing (email or post is fine) so that we can accurately start processing the cancellation. Make sure you include your travel voucher number and traveller names when requesting and confirming the cancellation. Please be aware that the travel operator may impose cancellation fees. In addition, MyDiscoveries will charge a AUD $100 per person cancellation fee for cancellations outside our 30 Day Booking Guarantee period.
When will I receive my tour documentation? This one depends on the tour operator.
What type of clothes should I bring? Bring comfortable walking shoes, a sweater, clothes you can layer, an all-weather jacket, and an umbrella.
I haven’t received my MyDiscoveries voucher yet. What do I do? If you have not received your voucher contact MyDiscoveries on 1300 404 606 and we will resend your voucher by email or post.
How fit do I need to be? We have graded all MyDiscoveries products with a fitness level. Relaxed, Moderate & Active. For more information on the MyDiscoveries Fitness Levels CLICK HERE
How do I take advantage of the 5 monthly payments plan? At time of booking online, you should be able to select our 5 monthly installment plan as a payment option. If booking over the phone, please mention you wish to pay in 5 monthly payments and our team will ensure this is set up. This is a free of charge service that allows you to pay off your holiday in 5 equal payments. How does it work? Pay only 1/5th of the total of your Holiday at time of booking. Your remaining 4 payments will be taken automatically from the same credit card on the same day of the next 4 months. Easy!
Where can I find the full terms and conditions for MyDiscoveries? Specific terms and conditions for each holiday can be found in the Fine Print section of every holiday. Full terms and condition for My Discoveries can be found HERE